teachers

|

Friday, October 8, 2010

This week we just celebrated Teachers’ Day. So now, let me thank the greatest teachers I had in my lifetime:


My Mommy
She’s not my biological mom but loved me like her own. Mommy is a teacher by profession and instilled in me the value of education. She pushed me to excel in my academics. When I was little, I wanted to become a teacher like her. For me, she’s the epitome of grace under pressure, strength, independence and self-sacrifice. Yet, she’s also a balance of work and social life, responsibility and zest for life. Until now, I wish to be like her in most ways: her values and principles in life will forever be my guiding mantra.

My Mama
During her wake last March, people kept telling me that Mama is the most selfless and generous person they know. For her, it's always important to extend a helping hand to the needy even if that means leaving herself empty-handed. And now that she’s not here anymore, people whom she’d helped before feel the great loss that she is now. And I must admit she had helped me in more ways she ever knew: she taught me how to be self-sufficient, independent, responsible and selfless. Above the basic lessons of domesticity, she taught me valuable lessons of handling relationships and compassion for others.

Teatro Tomasino
Undergoing apprenticeship in theatre is a test of perseverance, hard work and passion. Everyone is expected to bring results whatever it may take, having the mantra: beg, borrow, steal. I did all three, even the “steal” part just to pass the program. And after more than a decade of being a member, I reap the rewards and relish the valuable lessons the theater experience has taught me.

Theater taught me discipline and efficient time management. Even as a freshman, I was expected to commit a lot of my hours for teatro work, and at the same time, maintaining above average grades in school. I was seldom visible to my classmates after class since I have rehearsals to attend, but I always made sure my presence was felt during the class.

Being an officer of the organization made me tougher. Though I always tried to keep an amiable persona towards the other members, I learned how to create a wall of respect around me that until now, everyone in the group still recognize.

My EX
Even if I don’t want to remember him anymore, I can say I am indebted to him in more ways than one. I was a fresh grad and he was 5 years my senior so he was like my mentor in the office back then. He always reminded me to be self-motivated and reliable at work. He said I should trust no one when it comes to my personal life and issues. And now I know why I should. But the experience of falling in love and falling apart is the best lesson he taught me. And despite the heartbreaks, I know now I am stronger and smarter than ever, and no jerk can ever crumble this toughie to pieces.

Experiences
They say experience is the best teacher and I can’t say it any better. Living without a father in the house made me more responsible and decisive at a very young age. As soon as I graduated from college, I assumed the role of a breadwinner at home. And when Mama got sick, I learned a lot in our stay in the hospital:  from medical terms and procedures to nursing the sick. And those lessons I will never learn until experienced.

Everyday is a learning experience for me.  And I am thankful that I am led to meet the wonderful people to inspire me and mold me to who I am now and the better person I will be someday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment