Christmas is in the air -- random musings again

|

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Call me the Grinch but really I loathe the Christmas rush. I get so stressed out walking around the mall trying to find the perfect gifts that are within my measly budget. Most of my friends know I’m a certified mall rat but in seasons like Christmas, the mall is the last place on earth I want to be. As early as November, I have my gift list but I always end up cramming. Last year, I promised myself I will not go on a last minute Christmas shopping. And obviously, I broke that promise this year. *sigh*

On a brighter side, I got my loved-ones really cute yet inexpensive gifts. I’m so proud of myself that I got everything on my list in only three days (or three trips to the mall/bazaar). I already started distributing gifts to my office friends, family, relatives and some godchildren.  But I have yet to get a dear friend a gift. Hmm… haven’t talked to him for a long time. Maybe the best gift I can give him, aside from the tangibles, is my sincere forgiveness and acceptance.

Since the start of December, I’ve been playing Christmas songs in the office to uplift our mood. In my playlist are the classics from the Carpenters and Mariah Carey. I recently downloaded Backstreet Boys’ Christmas Time and Wham’s Last Christmas, my cubemate Razie’s favourites. And just last week, I loaded my iPod with Trans Siberian Orchestra Christmas albums The Christmas Attic, Beethoven’s Last Night and Christmas Eve and Other Stories. These are not your usual mainstream Christmas music, as the names imply. Among the songs, I love the Christmas Canon Rock based on Pachelbel’s Canon played back-to-back with rock version of O Holy Night. Someday, I’d love to be a part of a great orchestra playing rocking music like Trans Siberian’s.

In violin class, we started playing Christmas tunes since the opening of the semester. This year, we played Jolly Old Nicholas and Good King Wenceslas. And because we’re a cluster of three students, each of us got to play melody (violin A in A string), violin B (in D string) and violin C (in G string). Last year, we played Joy to the World and O Come All Ye Faithful in violin solo. In our Christmas party in Singles for Christ, I performed a rough violin solo of Silent Night. I’m so glad that my December is so filled with quality time with my darling Ivy.

Good thing about Christmas is reconnecting with friends. Recently, my long-time BFF Direk Beautiful PM’d me in Facebook his new mobile number. I’m so thrilled to finally be in touch with him. Last week, I had lunch with my old buddy Anabee at Buddy’s. She just came from a long vacation and so we did a lot of catching up with each other’s stories. Her sister just came from Holland and she gave me a Dutch couple ceramic keychain that is so cute I attached it to the clutch bag I always bring to lunch.
Wow, my December is really filled! I feel so blessed that even with my busy schedule, I still have time to pause and connect with the Lord, the real reason for this season. Merry Christmas everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment