Life is Beautiful

|

Friday, March 25, 2011

The heading of my post is quite contradicting to what this really is about.  Two years ago, a member of my college organization decided to end her life by jumping off the penthouse (19F) of a hotel.   That was during our group's annual end-of-school-year party.  So while we were all inside the conference room laughing our hearts out, she was out by the poolside, thinking deeply on how will she go through life's challenges.  At her young age of 19, she got fed up with life, and committed suicide.

Everyone thought she could go places, being one of the promising visual artists in her class and one of the best in her batch in the theater guild.  We never thought that her valiant persona was only a facade. Being surrounded with caring friends, also from the org, no one knew she would decide it was game over for her.

That fateful night, everyone's shocked upon hearing the news from her friend crying in hysteria.  The show stopped, the laughter faded, the cheering were replaced by mourning.  Being one of the Ate's in the guild, I was tasked to break the news to the family.  That was the hardest bit.  I was holding her mobile phone, trying to scan possible names I can contact.  Even her Dad was unreachable.  So I opted to contact her aunt and told her what happened as gently as I can, though I know on the other line, her heart breaks intensely.

That same year, my college group was not recognized by the Students Affairs Office and was banned to conduct activities in and out of the campus.  We're sort of suspended because of that incident and with the long hiatus, more and more members disappeared as the academic year passed by.

It has been two years, and now the club's back in grind.  I am glad that despite what happened, a lot of the members, mostly honararies and alumni, stayed for the guild.  And now we are stronger than ever.  I also wonder where this member of ours could have been now if she didn't end her life so soon. 

Two years after that incident, it seems that the memory is still fresh.  Thank God the trauma isn't there anymore for most of us who were there on that tragic night.  Each time I think of that incident, I thank God that I have known Him because I can be like my friend.  Who knows how heavy her loads were so she decided to end her life.  That seemed to be the easiest way out.  But knowing the Lord made me cling on to this dear life with much hope that despite the problems, a bright tomorrow awaits.  It is also comforting to know that we have a God whom we can call on to whenever we are in the deepest recesses of our lives.  Letting God rule my life made me acknowledge my problems and face them with courage, knowing that I can get through them even how difficult they may seem.  After all, "The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

0 comments:

Post a Comment