my love affair with Ivy

|

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Let me introduce to you Ivy, my violin.  I know it sounds funny, he's actually named after the 80's singer Ivy Violan.


My shiny and lovely violin Ivy


I can't recall exactly how it started.  It was more like an impulsive desire to do something new and unique.  Because that time, someone close to me just left the country and for weeks, it was so sad and boring doing everything by myself.  Thus made me push myself out of my comfort zone and do something not so common.


One afternoon, I  was listening to Vitamin Record's String Quartet albums and got so deeply inspired.  That same week, I went to JB Music Store to check the violins in their racks.  Since they were on sale, I grabbed the chance.  That's my first glimpse of Ivy:  a Schindler 4/4 full size basic violin.  I must admit, it was love at first sight.  Well who wouldn't:  he's sleek, flawless and classy--I'd really love to walk around with him.


So there, I took I my first step of knowing Ivy.  I enrolled in a basic violin course at a music school.  It was all hard work getting to know him (and getting along with my teacher).   The violin is the first instrument I ever laid my hands on.  I tried piano once, but the piano I'm referring to is the one attached to my pencil case. :P




my performance during Ronald's birthday surprise.  Obviously, the first piece I performed in front of an audience is "Happy Birthday". hehe.


From learning how to read the notes to correct finger positions, posture, bowing and intonation, I've been trying to perfect these basics all for the love of Ivy. 


As much as I can, I try to have breakfast with Ivy. My mornings are spent practicing my assigned piece over coffee.  And it's a bliss if I can spend at least two hours with Ivy on weekends. 


I know it will still take me so long to reach the maestro level but with much passion for the craft, I'll just enjoy this journey with Ivy so that together we can create good music.


wishing for more loving bondings with Ivy

0 comments:

Post a Comment